Friday, February 1, 2008

#8 Take a Thief




For the YA Challenge.

Book: Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey
Pages: 448
Entertainment Rating: 5/5
Snooty Rating: 2/5
Total Rating: 7/10
Books Read Total: 8/50
Pages Read Total: 2078/15,000

I wasn't at all surprised to find this book enjoyable as there are very few of Lackey's Valdemar novels that I haven't enjoyed. I'm a sucker for fantasy. She's easy to read, entertaining, and her characters are always strong and witty. Skif, a young thief, is no exception. Orphaned by his mother's death he is under the thumb of his skimping uncle and working in his inn in the slums under the watch of an abusive and slow-witted cousin. His only escape is in the mandatory lessons taught by the temple and the chance to keep out of the way. This story details the path he takes to a new life, the people he meets, the skills he earns, and the adventures that find him. The "street" speak was a bit hard to follow at times, but eventually I got used to it. Fun book!

I've got about 30 pages left in Jonathan Kozol's book Shame of the Nation. I'm not sure what I'm going to read next, though I'm sure my classes will control my decision.

No comments:

~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster Edited by Robin Marie