Saturday, February 16, 2008

#12 Of Mice and Men




Book: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Pages: Audiobook
Entertainment Rating: 4.5/5
Snooty Rating: 3.5/5
Total Rating: 8/10
Books Read Total: 12/50
Pages Read Total: 2410/15,000

The wikiplot: Two migrant workers in California during the Great Depression – George Milton: small in stature, intelligent, and cynical, but caring; and Lennie Small: physically strong, but a mentally limited man – come to a ranch in Soledad, California to "work up a stake". They hope one day to fulfill their shared dream of settling down on their own piece of land. Lennie's part of the dream, which he never tires of hearing George describe, is merely to have soft rabbits on the farm, which he can pet.

I have not decided how I feel about this book except that I love Steinbeck and his ability to create such emotions in his readers! My copy was recorded by Mark Hammer, and he did an incredible job! I listened to this entire book while in the studio today and there were many moments where I had to stop what I was doing because I was too emotional to focus. The relationships between the men of the farm are so painstakingly and precariously built as they begin to realize the companionship they've been missing. Hopes soar and plans are made, but the entire thing is overcast by a feeling of impending doom. A complicated roller coaster of emotions! It was an intense 4 hours!

No comments:

~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster Edited by Robin Marie