Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Author ABC Challenge

"...so when my manager (i work at a used bookstore) mentioned that one of her customers used to chose authors alphabetically, i thought, now that is peculiar and promptly decided to take up a new reading project! As soon as i got home i started to brainstorm and came up with some guidelines. Since i didn't want to spend the next 6 months trudging through books just cause i needed a letter, I allowed books that i have finished in the past 6 months to be included, and i would henceforth complete the rest of the alphabet. If I read a compilation, the editor's last name would apply. Most recent reads would be listed, even if i find them embarrassing (see "F"). In order for the book to count, I'd have to read it completely. No rereads. First names don't count. No cheating. Rated yes, no or maybe so. Here goes..." - readyset_no on Livejournal.com

I'll be including the books I read in the last 12 months, because I'm a busy girl...


Read:

A: Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale
B: J. M. Barrie - Peter Pan
C: Aiden Chambers - The Pillow Book of Cordelia Kenn
H: Frank Herbert - Dune and Dune Messiah
K: Thomas Kelly - Empire Rising
L: Madeleine L'Engle - A Wrinkle in Time
N: Mary Norton - The Borrowers Series
P: Tamora Pierce - Trickster's Choice
S: Anita Shreve - Body Surfing
T: Junichiro Tanizaki - Naomi
W: Tad Williams - The War of the Flowers

To Be Read (or finished):

D: *Ram Dass - Be Here Now
E: *Ianto Evans - The Hand-Sculpted House (Almost finished)
F: *William Faulkner - As I Lay Dying
G: David Guterson - Snow Falling on Cedars
I: John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany
J: *James Joyce - A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
M: Frank McCourt - Angela's Ashes
O: *Kenzaburo Oe - The Silent Cry
Q: Raymond Queneau - Zazie in the Metro
R: *Ayn Rand - Anthem
U: John Updike - The Witches of Eastwick
V: *Kurt Vonnegut...not sure which yet
X: *Cao Xueqin - Story of the Stone (Read parts of)
Y: Banana Yoshimoto - NP (Is her name really Banana?)
Z: Roger Zelazny (Because he's got two z's!)

* signifies that I have the book on my shelf
I'm excited to say I haven't read anything by any of the authors in my TBR pile! Adventure awaits!

EDIT: My "Y" author is going to be Jane Yolen's "Touch Magic" rather than Banana Yoshimoto. Maybe I'll still read Yoshimoto, who knows?
My "F" is now Nancy Farmer's "The Sea of Trolls", "The House of the Scorpion" and any others I can get my hands on! I'll probably still read Faulkner at some point.

No comments:

~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster Edited by Robin Marie