Thursday, September 30, 2010

Are You My Target Audience?

When I first started selling my jewelry I didn't really think it would ever be something that I did full time. Even after completing my degree, it took a while for the reality to sink in. Jewelry. It's what I do. Somehow in five years it just crept up and became an all-encompassing part of my life.


The problem with starting a business so loosely is that there comes a time when you need to take a major step in order to optimize your time and energy spent branding, marketing, creating, and networking. The difficulty comes when you're not sure what that step is. Because my business has grown so organically over the past 5 years, it's hard to decipher exactly what I need to do next. I'm too close to it.

A friend of mine is starting up a new business (Stellar Sunshine Hoops) and I have a blast troubleshooting and coming up with ideas for her, but I can't always do that for myself. I really miss being at that stage where every step was a big one.

I mentioned earlier this week that one major project I have going on is my new website. It's finally much more in line with how I've always envisioned it but the research and development of it has led me to wonder about my focus. Up until now I've been sort of "throwing mud at a wall". Spread my work around and see who likes it, what sticks. This year has been especially experimental because I have so many new events going on and a lot of them have been complete failures.

What it comes down to is this. I have to finally ask the question "who is my target audience?" Who do I have something to say to? Who's life can I improve? Who's questions can I answer?

I need your help!

Why do you read my blog (or tweets, or facebook updates)?
What is it about me that interests you?
If you're a fan of my jewelry, why?

You can e-mail me your answers (robinmsills [@] gmail [.] com), or leave them in the comments. I'd really appreciate it if you'd take a minute to get back to me on this.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there,
I don't feel confident in answering your questions just yet, but I do want to say that it is a pleasure to meet you, and your designs are lovely. Also, your product photography is great, too.

Looking forward to learning more!
Sylvia

Robin Marie said...

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to meet you too, and I'm really beginning to think Twitter is quite amazing.

I have your blog at the top of my reader. It's a joy to read!

Take care,

Robin Marie

BetteJo said...

Oh my gosh that's so hard. I read your blog because I like YOU - you remind me of my daughter in some ways, but you are very much your own gal. You're sweet and open and so creative! I tend to think of your jewelry as being organic, of the earth, maybe that's the colors you use, I don't know. I would not consider you to be totally mainstream, more bohemian and young. Does that make sense? On the other hand - your jewelry is not too young that someone my age may be attracted to it. I'm a bad one to ask though, I have a really hard time categorizing things especially when they are not absolutely clear cut as one thing or the other. So have I confused you more? Sorry!

BetteJo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster Edited by Robin Marie